Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Memories of 9/11

Most of my cartoons are humorous - or at least they're supposed to be. But cartoons aren't always meant to be funny. Some cartoonists sum up a political point with a few pen squiggles better than all the hot air a politician can muster. Other cartoons pick at your emotions or goad you into to buying a box of Count Chocula.

I'd describe the one I did on Sept. 11, 2001 as personal therapy. I didn't plan it. I didn't sketch it out first. I just drew because I didn't know what else to do ... and I had to do something. Now I drag it out every September. It's not some sort of masterpiece or technically admirable. But every line, every ink blot, every scribble bring that day back to me. I remember where I drew it, the amount of sunlight filtering into the room, everything.  But mostly I remember how I was feeling - a bizarre mixture of shock and horror ripening into anger and defiance. Sounds more like the stages of grief than a recipe for cartooning. And maybe that's what it was.

So every September I take a look at it and allow all the feelings to rush back - at least for a moment. It doesn't comfort me. Quite the opposite. But sometimes that's what we need. Sometimes we just need to remember a moment for what it was.


Click on image to enlarge

Find Beckhead Comics on Facebook or follow Beckhead Comics on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment